Sunday, December 4, 2011

Our Thankfulness Tree


This year we made a Thankfulness Tree in the month of November.  We gathered up some sticks from our backyard and arranged them in an old Mason jar.  I cut out the leaves on my Silhouette.   I printed this thankfulness art from this website for in the jar.  I kept it simple.  I left the blank leaves a the base of the "tree" contained in an upside-down lid and kept a fine-point Sharpie right next to it.    We had a tradition of doing our Thankfulness tree during mealtime (hence lots of meal-related items from some people).  I got a kick out of what each person chose.  The theme you find in each persons' list shows a lot about their personality and age.  I tried not to discourage any suggestions, just merely intentionally duplicating our previous answers.  But we all had duplicates.  This was so much fun!  We may not wait till next November to do our next Thankfulness Tree.

I'll let the answers do the rest of the speaking...


Our 6-year-old daughter:
Art
Beds
Books
Chapstick
Clothes
Cups
Dirty dishes (because otherwise the table would get very dirty at mealtime)
Exercise
Food (twice!)
For a sister
Grandmas
Lights (twice!)
Napkins
Our house
Phones
Piano
Raising hands
Reading
Sending my OCC box (Operation Christmas Child)
That I had a good birthday (twice!)
That Jesus died on the cross
That we have the freedom to do OCC
Toys
Wasn’t sick on first day of school
Water
Windows

Our 9-year-old daughter:
A dog
A piano teacher
Army and Navy
Astronauts
Aunts and uncles
Cars
Doctors
Energy
Family
Food
For having my ears pierced
Friends
Games
Gasoline
Go Fish Guys
Jesus, for coming
Milk
Money
Our garden
Parents
Plastic
Radios
Restaurants
School
Science
Tape
Teachers
The Bible
Wood

My husband:
Artwork
Bed with mattresses
Bible Study group
Cars, for traveling
Church family (twice!)
Garage cleaning
Happy family
Having a job
Health
Internet
Jesus, my Lord and Savior
[our 6 and 9 year old daughters]
Lights
Means and gifts to help others
Medicine
Mommy
Progress on basement
Season changes
Skills God has given us
Sparky
Technology
Warm home
Warm home on cold winter nights
Weekends with family (twice!)
Working from home

Myself:
A gracious God
Family Traditions J
Food
For [our 6-year old]
For Daddy
For [our 9-year-old]
God provided enough for us to give to others
Health
Music
My creativity
Operation Christmas Child
Our garden
Our good friends
Reliable vehicles
Safety
Supportive friends
Technology
That Auntie Robin’s sister had a healthy baby
That Daddy works so hard for our family
That I could be a SAHM
That I found Boggle at the thrift store
That my kids are happy and healthy
That the Gyro meat was on sale!
That this generation of young people know what a true hero is
The Bible
The snow
Torn-up French toast

One last Thankfulness item from me - that my daughter read the leaves to me so I could make this list faster!

2 comments:

  1. Jen, this is the coolest idea. I hope I'll remember to do it, maybe even next year -- Titus will be 4, Jon 3, Mike 2, they should be able to contribute.

    I somehow missed your last post from November 10th. I think every mom, to some degree, struggles to find herself when there are so many responsibilities, so many unfulfilled dreams, and not a lot of freedom at present. press forward---- I feel you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your Thankfulness Tree. That would have been fun when the kids were at home. Such a fun memory and keepsake for your family!

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

PacMan v2.6