Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garden 2011 - Bloom Where You Are Planted

It has been a long, LONG time since I blogged. Last year seemed like rock bottom in many ways - I was trying to figure out what stays and what goes in terms of hobbies, must-dos and don't-wanna-do,-but-really-should-do-because-someone-is-counting-on-me dos. So I didn't blog, didn't coupon, didn't even really garden. I have some ongoing personal-life concerns that deserve and take much of my attention when that person needs it, and that is more important than most of my other responsibilities. At the end of the summer, I took on a new role at church, planning a third of the music for the year for our services. It was quite time consuming at first, but now it seems to have found it's rhythm. I have just focused on my family and their needs and my new responsibilities at church. I really missed those outlets I cut out but there simply wasn't time for them and I'm glad I cut them out for a season. It reminds me of how God instructs the Israelites to take a break every seventh year - to not plant fields, to celebrate and to reconnect. Last summer was our 4th in our home, sixth in this town relocated to, so I guess we wern't far off!!

Speaking of seasons, this summer is my final season of being an at-home mom with a kid home with me all day, most days. My youngest starts all-day, every-day Kindergarten this fall. People have asked me if I'm going back to work or what and I have been saying "No, I'm just going to try to do what I do, better."

Better to me, means:
--devotional time
--planning more meals
--being more timely in fulfilling favors to people and other responsibilities.
--scrapbooking moments, not memories (i.e. something special the kid did rather than a Christmas page, Birthday Page, etc.) and other creative endeavors
--keeping the house cleaner
--being more on-top of the kids' responsibilities (cleaning rooms, chores, discipline and trying to start devotional time with them as well)

I am not gifted with kids. Sounds crazy since I'm a mother. That's why I don't have 19 kids. I enjoy mine, but I know, KNOW, I will benefit from some quiet, uninterrupted time each day to take care of some of those outside stresses and to-dos, so I can be more present, relaxed and purposeful with my kids when they are home. That's why I've been focusing on building in some "me" time rather than jumping into the workforce. Whether I do or not, or return to college to finish my degree is up to God - and so far He is not leading me down that path.

I guess this was longer than I thought it'd be - I'll post my garden pictures on the next post!!

2 comments:

  1. Glad to hear from you. I think you'll find yourself very busy with both girls in school. No time for an outside job with the full time job you have now! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I support you in not going back to work but rather continuing your current duties -- but a little 'better' as you say. With kids at home during the day it feels like many areas of life are frantic! I hope that with a little more down time your with be able to enjoy the Creator and all that he has purposed for you.

    ReplyDelete

Unfortunately I had to add word verification to stop spammers :( But comments are welcome from real people!

PacMan v2.6